Whether young people like it or not, we all get older sooner or later. Time waits for no one as they say. So, as we get older our risk for various health conditions increases as well for example arthritis, osteoporosis and heart disease. There are many health factors which can include or preclude you from these various health conditions such as genetics. In addition, you might notice certain things such as your ability to balance yourself and walk correctly might diminish over time. Sadly, this will inherently increase your probability of slipping and falling which is tremendously dangerous as we get older.
Nevertheless, there is good news for older folks and senior citizens who regularly participate in certain kinds of activities. For older folks and senior citizens alike, who routinely participate in movements and exercises which includes strength training also known as lifting weights and stretching the risk factors are greatly reduced. This is great news because anyone at any age can learn to stretch properly and even lift weights safely. In fact, there are studies which show seniors/older folks who routinely practice stretching exercises can reduce the discomfort and pain of arthritis. Not only that, studies have shown also that even some light strength training on a routine basis can even improve bone and heart healthiness. This is incredibly great news for yourself as well as for your family and other loved ones.
Just like many young people today face; seniors are looking to improve the quality of their life and health through nutrition, stretching and exercise. There will be very significant choices to be made for them and yourselves for your total well-being. Now just like the young people, you might be overwhelmed with the number of options and choices that are out there nowadays. Actually, being overwhelmed is an understatement these days in particular for our more mature population. The choices for getting health information these days are just about unlimited for example, websites, DVDs, gyms, personal trainers and even health books/magazines.
It is also very important to understand that as we get a little older our stretching and exercise routines should reflect this change. In other words, you should be concentrating on exercise routines which are specifically tailored to seniors. It is very tough and possibly dangerous for elders to follow stretching and workout routines which are originally designed for a young audience in mind. In addition, it is particularly detrimental to your health if you haven’t stretched or exercised for an extended amount of time. In fact, without the proper research workout routines which aren’t suited for your present health condition will be more detrimental than helpful. Simply because difficult exercise routines for your present exercise level could injure weak joints or even break bones. In addition, even if you don’t get physically hurt due to the sheer difficulty of the routines people often have a tendency to quit way before reaping any of the health benefits of proper stretching and exercise.
Exercise and physical activity are excellent for nearly everybody (barring any health issues), which includes older individuals. There is four primary types and each type takes a different approach. Performing them all will provide you with the most complete overall health benefits.
- Endurance, or aerobic, activities increase your breathing and heart rate. Brisk walking or jogging, dancing, swimming, and biking are examples.
- Strength exercises make your muscles stronger. Lifting weights or using a resistance band can build strength.
- Balance exercises help prevent falls
- Flexibility exercises stretch your muscles and can help your body stay limber
For those who have not recently been active, you can begin slowly and gradually progress up to your individual goals. Just how much physical exercise you will need will depend on how old you are and your present overall health. Consult with your medical provider on precisely what is the most proper way for you to begin. Aging is a simple and natural fact of living. There are certainly ways to slow down the effects of aging, that can keep your face and body looking younger than they really are. See the tips below to look and feel younger, and will fool people as to your true age.
- Aging can have many undesirable effects on the body. Nobody looks forward to the obvious signs of aging. To keep your appearance looking younger and more youthful, stay away from recreational drugs and alcohol. These substances can have a devastating effect on skin, hair and teeth, making a person look much older than their biological age. They can damage the internal organ systems as well, so hold on to your youth and steer clear!
- Increasing your social activities can improve your lifestyle as you get older. Being part of a group can help you to keep learning and experiencing new things. Join a seniors group, a craft class, or a cooking class. Keeping busy will give you no time to feel older!
- Be careful and avoid falling down. who suffer a fall are at high risk for injury, bone fractures, or even death. You can improve your balance and become more physically fit by making an effort to take 30-minute walks, three days per week. To reduce the chance of fractures, increase your bone density by combining weight training, calcium and vitamin D. Just because you’re aging doesn’t mean you should stop physical activity. Almost any amount of physical activity will have benefits, provided you are doing a safe level of activity for your age and health. Many, many senior exercise programs are available to seniors through gyms, YMCAs, senior centers, and hospitals.
- As a person grows older, their brain may not be as sensitive to the need to hydrate as it once was. Therefore, it’s more important than ever for seniors to consciously drink 8 8-oz. glasses of water per day. Dehydration is common among older people who do not realize they need to drink adequate fluids in order for their cells to function properly.
Aging is a simple and natural fact of living. There are certainly ways to slow down the effects of aging, that can keep your face and body looking younger than they really are. See the tips to look and feel younger, and will fool people as to your true age.Be alive while you are alive. Many sad things are going to happen in your life. You should take the time to grieve and then endure the pain that you experience. Do not spend too much time holding onto those painful feelings. They will surely bring you down and out.